It was morning. At least for the people in the Americas it was. For me it was a little past midnight. I usually go to sleep at 4 am (which I hate). In about 4 hours after I try and go to sleep, 13B8 (my apartment in Ann Arbor) rises to life.
Usually on the weekdays everyone is busy getting ready for their classes. I am woken up by the movements, and a few minutes after the bustling starts, I am sleeping again. On the weekdays. On Saturday however, the scene is different. One of my roommates, Rohit Gupta (GPT we call him) plays the guitar on Saturday morning, still a little past midnight for me. Usually, music helps me in my endeavor. GPT's songs though, are not suitable for a good sleep. He plays solo pieces (most of which I don't enjoy) much too often. But I don't mind. As an admirer of the guitarist that GPT is, I feel I shouldn't stop him (although once I did ask him to play a little softly). If I can't sleep, it means I have to break my sleep cycle and that is good news!
Last Saturday morning was very different though. There is one thing you must know about GPT. His list of guitar songs is very short. Very very short. He will play the same songs again and again and again although the songs that he plays are not repeated more than once in one sitting of guitar practice. Not on last Saturday though. He had completed 'Stairway to Heaven'. That is when I woke up. Then it was 'Importance of being idle', the Oasis number (which we both love). Then he played it again. Once again the same piece. One more time thereafter. I am sure others in the house were waiting for him to switch to something else, as much as I was. But GPT was in a loop. The same fucking piece again! I was waiting for something else to start. But nooo!! Yet again, it was the same fucking Oasis number. I imagined GPT must be thinking about something else, but his hands were stuck in the loop. The same shit again. Good lord!!! Someone stop him!!! Oasis is my favorite group, but never had I cursed the favorite song of my favorite group before. Guess he had made up his mind to challenge the definition of infinity. Or may be to invent a better phrase than 'beating it to death'!
But nothing could stop him.
All this I thought while I was half awake. Guess I should have written this post the same morning. Would have been much more fresh for me to write. Tejas Chafekar (another room mate) shared the sentiments during the "torture". I pity us both. Vaibhav Jaguste (3rd room mate) escaped the endeavor though. Luck him!
Usually on the weekdays everyone is busy getting ready for their classes. I am woken up by the movements, and a few minutes after the bustling starts, I am sleeping again. On the weekdays. On Saturday however, the scene is different. One of my roommates, Rohit Gupta (GPT we call him) plays the guitar on Saturday morning, still a little past midnight for me. Usually, music helps me in my endeavor. GPT's songs though, are not suitable for a good sleep. He plays solo pieces (most of which I don't enjoy) much too often. But I don't mind. As an admirer of the guitarist that GPT is, I feel I shouldn't stop him (although once I did ask him to play a little softly). If I can't sleep, it means I have to break my sleep cycle and that is good news!
Last Saturday morning was very different though. There is one thing you must know about GPT. His list of guitar songs is very short. Very very short. He will play the same songs again and again and again although the songs that he plays are not repeated more than once in one sitting of guitar practice. Not on last Saturday though. He had completed 'Stairway to Heaven'. That is when I woke up. Then it was 'Importance of being idle', the Oasis number (which we both love). Then he played it again. Once again the same piece. One more time thereafter. I am sure others in the house were waiting for him to switch to something else, as much as I was. But GPT was in a loop. The same fucking piece again! I was waiting for something else to start. But nooo!! Yet again, it was the same fucking Oasis number. I imagined GPT must be thinking about something else, but his hands were stuck in the loop. The same shit again. Good lord!!! Someone stop him!!! Oasis is my favorite group, but never had I cursed the favorite song of my favorite group before. Guess he had made up his mind to challenge the definition of infinity. Or may be to invent a better phrase than 'beating it to death'!
But nothing could stop him.
All this I thought while I was half awake. Guess I should have written this post the same morning. Would have been much more fresh for me to write. Tejas Chafekar (another room mate) shared the sentiments during the "torture". I pity us both. Vaibhav Jaguste (3rd room mate) escaped the endeavor though. Luck him!
No comments:
Post a Comment